Tuesday, November 08, 2005

#286

[deleted]
Now that was a post filled to the brim with venom. There comes a time when you're so pissed off at another's irresponsibility that you just can't help but to bitch about it. That was one of those times for me. Don't get me wrong, I do not hate the boy. But his game has got to end, unless he wants everyone to see what he truly is. Doing something that low to gain any kind of advantage is disgusting and that's putting it mildly. Coming from a person like me who has done pretty nasty things to people in the past says a lot about his behaviour.
In other news, today I got a trifecta of evil: Not only did I have to reformat and reinstall Windows XP, but I also could not reactivate my key due to it being "used excessively." I did have a virus attack just a few days ago that may have gathered it. I also hadn't reformatted in over six months, and I had reinstalled a new graphics card in that time (however some people are saying MS stopped looking for hardware changes but some people say that it still happens). I may have to bypass the Microshit interrogation of my own legally bought software by cracking it instead. Because as of now I have 30 more days to activate. Sorry, but I already paid you $250 and I'm not going to be interrogated about why I reinstall their buggy piece-of-shit software by your outsourced, impossible-to-understand east indian "employees." And I am not buying a new copy when I already paid. You can forget it.
The third crappy thing that happened today: Rogers apparently has throttled all bittorrent activity for all users. You'd be lucky to upload 2kb/s as it stands now, combined. Over at dslreports you can read about the shit going on in the Canada -> Rogers section. Conspiracy theories abound, some suggest it may be because they want to save upstream bandwidth for their phone service, which is a mistake. Rogers has a tendency to change the rules on a whim. Bad for business.
This is off-topic kind of but I've been thinking for a while: Calling downloading "piracy" is a misleading statement. Not only does the word piracy mean theft on the high seas, downloading copyrighted material is not theft. Copyright infringement, which is what it truly is, is a civil and non-criminal act. Here's an example: You see someone's shiny black car. You want it for yourself. So you hop in and hotwire it, then take off. That is theft. You are taking something away from someone else. They have lost their ability to use it.
Now: You see someone's shiny black car. You want it for yourself. So you make a perfect copy of it. You get in your copy of their shiny black car and drive away. You are not depriving the original user of their car, you merely made a copy of it. Is that theft? No, I didn't think so. Edit: I should be clear. Selling copies to others of the stuff you have downloaded is indeed a serious crime.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home