World of Warcraft doomed to fail?
To be honest, I haven't touched World of Warcraft in about a month (or maybe more). I managed to get a Paladin to level 45, a Hunter to level 30-something and some other classes that never reached 20. I lost my interest mostly due to the server stability issues (rarely a green server light, mostly yellow, and sometimes the devastating red). The constant downtimes, server crashes and the lag just isn't acceptable in a game which you pay $15 a month for. And it seems after every patch something else horribly wrong happens which makes the problems worse. The few free days they offer as compensation just isn't enough for me. There was more downtime than the free time they give back to us.
It really is unfortunate that Vivendi had forced this game to be released before it was working 100% (as is typical with a lot of their games). The servers were more stable in the beta, and granted there were less users online then, but that doesn't cut it. They make over $15 million per month on user subscriptions alone, and I'd think that's a lot more than they need to make the servers stable. I am quite sure the problems still stem from their poor databasing software, but who's to say? They don't really tell us much other than "we're working on it."
What it does have going for it is the Player-VS-Player aspect, something that Everquest II doesn't have at the moment. It's fun to kill the other faction, but there are times when you're killed just trying to complete quests, or you're corpse camped (which is waiting for you to respawn and killing you again repeatedly), and times when you're just trying to get to your destination, only to be jumped out of nowhere which can sometimes be extremely frustrating.
The game was great for a while. I managed to find some great gear and had many hours of fun inside the world of Warcraft. But I think, perhaps, it's time for me to move on from WoW. It was fun while it lasted, and I made quite a few friends.
I am currently awaiting Dungeons and Dragons Online and Middle-Earth Online. Hopefully their servers will be stable and have better customer support. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Just please don't rush it. I'll gladly wait longer to receive it instead of having it pushed out before it's done.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home