To Live Or To Die
Terri Schiavo died on March 31st, 2005. A lot of people think that she should have been kept alive, but I have other ideas.
The question is whether or not she was suffering, and I would say that yes she was. And if she wasn't suffering, being unable to do anything at all in her life except blink her eyes randomly, then she was obviously too far gone to recover to begin with. There was nothing anyone could do for her, except watch her deteriorate even more with each passing day, running the medical bill higher and higher. The doctors said that her cerebral cortex had atrophied and liquified, yet her family was actually thinking she could have made a full recovery and been an active member in society. I think not.
No. I think it was better for her to pass on than to live another 15 years in that state. I know if I was in her place, I would want to be put out of my misery aswell. The government and the churches should have no place to say whether someone lives or dies. It should be up to the person themself to decide. But since she had no living will (everyone should get one, after the age of 18, in case something like this happens), the next best choice is, and should be, the spouse. I find that the Bush interference was terrible at best, and I think that was more like politicking than true belief that she should have remained alive (after all, it was George W. Bush that terminated funding for soldiers who suffered brain injuries not long before he decided to "rescue" Schiavo. It's amazing how low people will go for votes! But luckily, it actually hurt his popularity rather than helped).
So case in point, she is better off dead. It is unfortunate that she had to live that way for so long, but now she can finally rest.
That is all.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home