Sunday, April 24, 2005

Knew this would happen

CEO of Mythic (creators of Dark Age Of Camelot) is fuming over Sony's recent decision to allow the auctioning of virtual items for real money. As I said in an earlier post, this is not only disgusting but it is going to destroy the virtual economy as it's done to countless other online RPGs. He stated: "I'm disappointed with the decision from a leader in the MMO industry to go down a path which in the past, has been an anathema to them and remains so to just about every other MMORPG company in the industry. I think that not only supporting the sale of in-game characters, items and currency, but also taking a 'cut' of those sales, is not only a mistake but one of the worst decisions in the history of the MMORPG industry..." It's terrible that Sony will be pocketing some of the cash. They get more than enough from the paying customers. I wonder how badly this will affect EverQuest II down the road, and whether this will change the minds of other MMORPG companies about items being sold in the real world. I hope not. There will be no way for people who play fairly to keep up with those who shell out hundreds of dollars to get the uber items. Read more about it here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home