Day of the Crappy Endings
My post got deleted and now I have to rewrite this entire thing. So that's the third thing tonight to irk me. But hey, what can ya do...
I completed two things tonight. One of them was the last book of the Dark Tower/Gunslinger series, and the other was the survival horror videogame called Cold Fear.
I'll start with the Dark Tower. There may be some spoilers as I write about this. Let me just say that this last book definitely wasn't as well written as the first three, and it seemed to me that King was pretty bored of the story after all these years and rushed it. There were some cool parts, and some parts that made you think, "What the fuck?" The final battle with Mordred, for example, was very quickly ended. The entire book led up to this confrontation, only to end within a couple paragraphs. There were other things aswell that could have been written better, but I'll jump to the end. The ending was the worst ending King could have envisioned for Roland after his long journey that started in the 1970s. Roland deserved better. Of course, King did warn his readers not to go on at a certain point, as the end might leave you heartbroken, but I just had to. I couldn't stop when I could learn exactly what awaited Roland in the Dark Tower. A monumental disappointment. I spent a lot of time reading each and every one of those books. Now I don't think I could possibly read them again, knowing the fate of them all.
Now, to Cold Fear. What a great game! The graphics are amazing, especially the storm effects, and the rocking of the boat in the waves. There is plenty of violence and blood to go around, and some sudden shocks along the path aswell. The lighting effects were great, and the music was akin to high budget Hollywood movies. But the last boss and ending was tragic. The ending lasted no more than 3 seconds, I shit you not, before the credits rolled. So that was my second disappointment of the evening. Everything up to that point was great. I really enjoyed it. So, as long as you don't get to the last boss and beat the game, you'll have a good time. You get no kind of reward in the end. None at all. The game does have some "Bonus" material however, mainly just illustrations and drawings, and some 3D modelling of the characters and enemies. But that's about it. There's your "reward" for this game.
So, that's that. I might just read "The Long Walk," also by Stephen King (under the name of Bachman), which is a great story. With a good ending.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home